November is dedicated to mouth cancer in the dental world every year. Our practice is one of the few practices in the UK that use the VELscope system. We have proudly been using the Velscope here at the Dental Surgery, routinely during dental examinations, for the last 5 years. A number of oral conditions have successfully been detected with the use of the VELscope system that may not have been detected with the naked eye.
The VELscope System is a wireless, handheld scope that uses natural tissue fluorescence visualisation to help our clinicians see oral mucosal abnormalities that might otherwise have been overlooked. It takes just a few minutes to use and is non invasive.
Oral Cancer and Oral Disease
One of the VELscope’s most important tasks is to help locate areas that might, if not treated, progress to oral cancer:
- Found early, oral cancer’s 5-year survival rate is good: approx. 83%;
- Found late, oral cancer 5-year survival rate is poor: approx. 32%;
- Clearly, finding oral cancer in its early stages is key to survival.
The VELscope offers hope for the early discovery of oral disease, including precancer and cancer.
Why we use VELscope?
Cleared by the FDA, and approved by Health Canada, and the World Health Organization, the award-winning VELscope Vx is the world’s most widely used adjunctive device for the visualisation of:
- Viral, fungal and bacterial infections;
- Inflammation from a variety of causes (lichen planus and lichenoid reactions, allergy to amalgam fillings, etc.);
- Squamous papillomas;
- Salivary gland tumors;
- Cancer and pre-cancer;
- Other oral mucosal conditions…
- The technology is also backed by more clinical studies than any other adjunctive device for tissue fluorescence visualisation.
- More than 25 million VELscope examinations have been performed by over 12,000 dental practitioners in 23 countries.
Be aware of mouth cancer and visit your dentist on a regular basis- prevention is always better than cure 020 7680 1800 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org