How long have you wanted to quit smoking? Now may be your chance.
Stoptober is in full swing and, if you haven’t already, it’s a great opportunity to try giving up the habit once and for all. Conceived as a short-term challenge, the idea is that if you can stop smoking for 28 days, you have a really good chance of stopping for good. And if not, at least you’ll have given your lungs a much-needed breather (pun intended).
Now, you may be used to your friends, family and doctor urging you to quit smoking – you already know it’s bad for your health – but why would your dental surgery be jumping on the bandwagon? Well, it should be no surprise to hear that smoking is harmful to your oral and dental health too. Here’s how:
- Smoking causes an increased risk of cancer in your lips, tongue, throat, voice box and oesophagus. More than 93% of oropharyngeal cancers are caused by smoking.
- Smokers take longer to recover from oral surgery, including extractions, and can cause dry socket during treatment.
- Smoking can cause and aggravate gum disease, ultimately resulting in tooth loss.
- Smoking is a primary cause of bad breath.
- It yellows your teeth! Stains from nicotine and tar require special tools to remove, which can only be done by a dental hygienist. Watch this video to find out more.
So, how can you stop?
We know, quitting is one of those things that is SO much easier said than done. That’s why we recommend you take Stoptober one day at a time. Remember, any reduction in your smoking will benefit your health. Here are a few tips and motivations to get you started:
- There are lots of ways to get support, download the Stoptober Smokefree app using iTunes or Google Play, or sign up to get text message support by texting TIPS to 63818.
- You’ll start to notice a difference almost immediately – within just two days, your sense of smell and taste will improve and so will your breath!
- You’ll save money – in fact, why not start planning now for all the things you’ll do with the money you don’t spend on cigarettes?
- You’ll impress your friends and family and perhaps inspire some of them to quit too.
- Your dentist and/or dental hygienist will be happy to help you. You can also discuss treating yourself to a celebratory AirFlow polish when the month is up!
Here at The Dental Surgery, we’re excited for you to stop the habit and are eager to do everything we can to help. We also offer dental hygiene appointments and cosmetic dental treatments to help address the damage smoking has caused over the years. Ready to try living smoke-free? Call us today on 020 7680 1800.