Is your smile one of your most attractive features? Numerous surveys reveal it is always high on the list of things we notice first about people, and one of the things we rate most important when looking for a partner. With Valentines weekend now upon us we thought we’d give you a few tips on how to make sure your smile is getting you noticed for all the right reasons.
1) Brush morning and night with a fluoride toothpaste- spit out the excess toothpaste but try not to rinse with water or mouthwash to maximise the benefits from cavity fighting ingredients.
2) Be sure to change your toothbrush or toothbrush head every 3 months max- it’s full of bacteria, so keep it fresh!
3) Floss or use other types of aids to clean between teeth daily- this removes food particles which can cause decay or gum irritation, which can lead to unnecessary dental work.
4) Stay hydrated- drinking plenty of water washes away some food particles and bacteria, which can be partly responsible for the odour.
5) Avoid smoking- this too can dehydrate the mouth and be responsible for stale breath. It has many other negative effects on the health of your mouth from discolouration to oral cancer.
6) Eat or chew sugar-free gum or mints after meals- this promotes the production of saliva, which has a cleansing effect on the mouth keeping it fresh. Choosing products containing the naturally sweet ingredient Xylitol can also have additional anti cavity benefits.
7) Cut down on dark coloured food and drinks-this causes teeth to become discoloured and stained. Brighter and whiter teeth are thought to be more attractive as they are perceived to be more youthful. Some people have naturally darker teeth and may benefit from whitening treatments.
8) Be dental aware! Visiting your dentist regularly will help pick up any early issues you may have. Also regular hygienist visits, which should include oral hygiene advice on brushing and flossing, will remove any plaque or tartar build up that you have missed, keeping teeth looking and feeling healthier. Teeth aren’t usually sore until there is a more major problem-so avoid big issues by attending regularly and let us help you!
Happy Valentines Day!